By Stacey Macaluso, JCC Fitness Instructor
Throughout the year, I make it a priority to stay consistent with my fitness routines and nutrition so when the holiday season temptations approach, I keep myself in check and in control.
I allow myself to enjoy the things that come along with the holiday season. I may put some items on my plate I wouldn’t normally eat or pay close attention to portions, but balancing it all is key. Staying aware of my selections and being prepared and planned with healthy options is helpful, which ensure I get the nutrition I need and want.
Here are 10 tips to help you beat the holiday cookies, cocktails and cakes:
- Don’t go to the mall for last-minute shopping or to that holiday party on an empty stomach! The mall pretzel shops and party buffets will only draw you in if you are starving.
- Weigh yourself daily and use that number to guide your actions. Food diaries are helpful, but only if you’re totally honest and diligent about recording everything you eat.
- Contribute a healthy dish when you go to a party to ensure there’s something you can feel good about eating.
- Pace yourself and be aware. Are you hungry? Is it smart? How much do you need?
- Keep healthy options at the office. The flood of gift baskets arriving each day are tempting.
- Manage your portion sizes and avoid second servings of the things on your plate that aren’t the best for you. Enjoy just one portion of it, then move on.
- Hors d’oeuvres and snacks can add up to a lot more calories then we think! Limit the noshing and save your calories for the entrée items.
- Don’t forget to think about your liquid intake. Beverages you might consume only during the holidays such as juices, hot chocolate and holiday cocktails contain many added calories. Pour smaller amounts and sip slowly. Did you drink water today?
- Remember each day and each meal is a time to make good choices.
- Keep up with your exercise routine! No matter how busy this time of year can get, you’ll always feel better walking out from that workout. Determination goes a long way.
You can find me here at the JCC almost every day either teaching fitness classes, training with my clients, or taking classes myself to continue to enrich my knowledge and fitness level. Hit me up anytime for fitness or nutrition support or come join my Jumpstart Weight Loss program in January to kick off 2017.
Wishing you a wonderful holiday season and an incredible 2017!