By Stephanie Dworkin, JCC Marketing Director
It’s hard to believe we are at mid-December! It honestly feels like yesterday I watched the ball drop and welcomed 2017. It’s been a great year here at the J, and this month, as always, the fun never stops and we keep the events and programs coming!
The last week of December is always a busy time with school break, vacations and preparing to usher in the new year. Before you put 2017 behind you and look towards new things in 2018, here are some awesome activities to take part in here at the JCC:
- Laughter & Lo Mein- Sunday, December 24: It’s an unofficial Jewish tradition to enjoy Chinese food and a movie on Christmas Day- this dates back to when not much else, if anything, was open other than movie theatres and Chinese restaurants! Spend Christmas Eve with us and our own spin on this tradition at Laughter & Lo Mein. We’ll have a full Kosher Chinese food dinner buffet to enjoy, and you’ll laugh the night away with our two comedians, Buddy Fitzpatrick and Joe Devito. Buddy is a native Philadelphian has been appeared on Comedy Central®, The Sopranos, An Evening at the Improv and the films, Harlem Aria and The Business of Strangers, while Joe has appeared on The Late Late Show and Chelsea Lately, was a semi-finalist on Last Comic Standing, and was a contributing writer for Super Size Me. Admission includes show, complimentary soft drinks and a Kosher Chinese Buffet. Register online here!
- Character Breakfast- Monday, December 25: Kids will love rolling out of bed and leaving the house in their PJ’s when you head to the J for our annual Character Breakfast! This family event includes a delicious breakfast and a pajama dance party with Elmo, Princess Poppy and Branch from Trolls and a princess! Everyone can make their own Trolls headband, and you won’t want to miss our demo session of Zumbini, a new parent and me fitness class coming to the J next month! This event sells out quickly and RSVP is required by Tuesday, December 19. Register online here!
- Winter Break Vacation Days- Tuesday, December 26 through Friday, December 29: When the kids are off from school and you need to keep them busy, we have the perfect solution to keep them busy at our Vacation Days! We’re headed to some awesome SJ kid-friendly places including Sahara Sam’s, Altitude Trampoline Park and the International Skate Center, as well as one day spent at the J where kids will paint their own canvas to take home. Register online for any day or the entire week here!
- Sixers Holiday Hoops Basketball Camp- Tuesday, December 26 through Thursday, December 28: If you have a future Joel Embiid on your hands, then look no further than the Sixers Holiday Hoops Camp we’re offering here at the J! All campers receive an invitation to a Sixers private practice and a long-sleeve t-shirt. (For kids ages 5-14) Register online here!
- Fitness + Aquatics: There are so many options for fitness and aquatics classes here at the J, so why not use the week off from work or school to try something new? Try our new SoulBody Barre on Tuesdays at 9:30am, hop on a bike in one of our many Spin classes, or take some time to refresh your mind in Meditation on Fridays at 10:20am. If you’re looking to channel your inner summer loving self and hop in the water, we also offer Deep Water Aqua, Aqua Yoga and Aqua Jam. The best part? All of these classes are FREE! Check out our online group fitness schedule to learn more, then add anything right onto your phone’s calendar here.
Looking for more upcoming programs and events? 2018 has a ton in store for you! Be on the lookout for our Winter/Spring program guide later this month (both online and in print at the J), and you can always visit us right here online for details on all things JCC.
Happy holidays and we look forward to seeing you around the J this month!